Editing Contribution By Deposit
Each contribution item is identified in GEFS and in the Commission's submission processing software by an identifier containing three elements: submission number, deposit number, and item number. These criteria are created as a result of the process of organizing and entering contributions into GEFS.
Preparing Documents for Bank Deposit and Scanning into GEFS
- Prepare documents for deposit. Group written contribution instruments (checks and money orders) and source documents (signature cards for currency contributions, letters or other correspondence concerning contributions) separately for each deposit, preferably in alphabetical order within each deposit by the contributor’s last name.
- Prepare deposit slip. Prepare an itemized deposit slip that lists all of the checks to be deposited corresponding with the accompanying written instruments. Annotate the deposit slip with the names of the contributors. Prepare and enter on the deposit slip a total of the currency contributions, if any, to be deposited equal to the amount on the signature cards maintained for currency contributions. Currency contributions are limited to $200 in the aggregate in an election for each contributor.
- Date deposit slip. Make certain that you clearly date each deposit slip. Be sure that information on the deposit slip is legible.
- All contribution checks and money orders must be scanned into GEFS before depositing them into your campaign bank accounts. See page 19 for scanning instructions. You may also scan deposit slips and documents related to the contributions into GEFS at this time or may scan those documents later.
- Deposit contributions in correct bank account. Deposit contributions to be submitted for match into the Matching Fund Account. Deposit all other contributions in the Depository Account. A Single Candidate Committee - Certificate of Organization and Designation of Campaign Treasurer and Depository (Form D-1) must be filed for each account opened for the 2001 general election. Make certain that the deposit slip is receipt stamped by the bank with the date of deposit and that all other information is legible.
See special instructions for contributions submitted in part for match and contributions not eligible for match later in this manual.
- Assign deposit number. Assign a deposit number to each separate bank deposit. The deposit number must not be repeated for any deposit within the same submission even if the deposit was made on the same day or into a different account. The numbering of deposits should be sequential within each submission with the first deposit of each submission being “Deposit #1.”
- Scan receipted deposit slips and other documents into GEFS. When the contributions have been deposited, scan the deposit slip with the bank receipt information into GEFS. To manage the volume of contribution items and related documents, the Commission suggests that you scan documents and enter contributor information immediately after a deposit is made.